We act for clients in disputes of all forms throughout Australia.
We assist clients in Federal, Supreme and District Court actions as well as alternative dispute resolution processes, including mediation, expert determination and arbitration.
Our key strength is providing strategic advice on the best way to navigate through a dispute and to achieve sound commercial outcomes. We recognise that prevention is better than cure.
Our commercial expertise also allows us to identify problems which may give rise to disputes in the future and to provide advice on how best to avoid them.
In particular we advise on:
- Commercial and contractual disputes
- Corporate law, directors’ duties and shareholder disputes
- Corporate and personal insolvency
- Real property and leasing
- Product liability
- Partnership disputes
- Industrial dispute resolution
- Regulatory compliance and investigations
- Business sale warranty claims
- Estate and beneficiary claims
- Intellectual property litigation and breach of confidence matters
- Urgent injunctions
- Acting for creditors defending preference claims brought by liquidators of large corporate groups in South Australia and Victoria (>$2.5m).
- Defending an application to overturn a deed of company arrangement and defending directors against claims of misleading and deceptive conduct and breach of duty ($12.5m).
- Acting for landlords in leasing, rental and make good disputes throughout Australia.
- Southern Expressway – acting for a civil contractor against a Lend Lease subsidiary in a security of payment dispute involving alleged defective and delayed construction.
- Acting for a national construction company in successful application for judicial review arising from a security of payment claim by a contractor
- Rundle Mall – acting for a design consultant in a security of payment dispute against the Adelaide City Council regarding the Rundle Mall redevelopment.
- Acting for beneficiaries under a contested Will in Supreme Court of South Australia litigation concerning the ownership and control of a large family business, employing about 200 employees and involving approximately 70 properties and multiple trust and companies.
- Acting for minority shareholders in a software development and licensing business in oppression proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Acting for a UK manufacturer and distributor in a Supreme Court claim about the supply of defective manufacturing machinery – >$7 million